Thursday 19 June 2008

Thankyou, I've had enough

So, it's finally arrived. The Moment. I knew it would, of course. I've been closing my eyes to all the evidence, but was forced this morning to confront what I have subconsciously known for some time. And it's not pretty.

Yep.

I've got to lose some weight.

I don't know about you, but I'm not one to spend hours posturing in front of the mirror, admiring my body in all it's splendour. Born a Catholic, raised that way, that sort of thing just wasn't done. So although I've seen that the numbers have - to put it politely - crept upwards on the scales since my first cherub appeared (or in reality, from around the time that we realised he was on his way), I haven't really put myself in a position to see the results around my waistline. Sure, I know I've gone up a dress-size. And yes, it is just the one, though frankly I was never that skinny to begin with.

If you're anything like me, the only full-length photos of you around the house are likely to be from that distant day when you looked good in white. Mainly because you had spent the previous 6 months working out and dieting to make damn sure that you did. Being an acceptable shape on your wedding day is a pretty big incentive, or it was to me. In fact, no event since provided quite the same motivation. And of course, if you are also anything like me, those glances you shoot at yourself in the mirror on your way out of the house to make sure you don't have lipstick on your teeth / ripped tights (stockings? You wish) / toothpaste, snot or sick on your bum are always so fleeting, and at such at flattering angle, that you could put on 6 stone before you realised you should cut out the Starbucks Frappucinos for a while.

So, whilst I knew I needed to sort things out, it was only when I saw the photos of myself on holiday and wondered who the portly woman on the beach was that I started to take any kind of action. Namely, moaning to Husband that I never seem to be able get myself motivated to go to the gym anymore.

My darling Husband provided the first and most important part of that motivation. If I go to the gym 3 times a week every week for a year, he has promised to take me somewhere that I can show off the bikini bod I hope to have by then. That's not to say I will wear a bikini, by the way. I would just like to have the option.

So, a fortnight back from holiday I have been to the gym 6 times and we are 2 weeks down, 50 to go.

Can you tell Husband is Dutch? What are the chances he'll really have to pay up? Not good, I would have said. Until this morning, when I saw a photo of myself, taken unawares last Autumn, just after I had my appendix operation. I had even managed to drop a couple of pounds as a result (and no, it wasn't all appendix), and remember that I was feeling pretty good.

And yet, in that photo, I still looked more than a little porktastic, dammit! Now I'm not living in a complete dreamworld. I don't expect, or even want, to reach some unrealistic goal and regain my pre-baby figure. But I would like to be able to rediscover something of a waist and lose the apple silhouette.

So watch this space. Hopefully, it will get larger.

And if anyone can suggest an alternative to crispbread I'd be very glad to hear about it...

19 comments:

  1. i did the independent diet at the start of the year. as diets go, it was totally pointless. but i did enjoy it, and i did more walking.

    oh dear. there is no substitute really, is there, for what dieting is all about: eat less and exercise more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that, grit. (Stinks though, doesn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. (Of course you know that, I've blogged it too.) At least your husband has postured some sort of incentive for you. Mine just smugly loses weight himself. Bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small changes. Example, mocha to latte. I lost 5 pounds from that change alone.

    And a spandex camisole to hold the jiggle in place.

    If you discover some magic, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear - I know about those fleeting mirror moments. It's also about denying you are getting older - like when you start to wonder about botox injections although you always swore you would never go there... Diet wise can only suggest Carol Vorderman. You get to eat loads, and most of the food is family friendly. ANd walk loads too as grit suggests... Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to move my blog, Potty Mum. I hope you'll follow me over there. Love, Nora.

    http://brightandsunny.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an incentive PM - if you don't do it now it just gets harder and harder. Although I've never been skinny, I am a normal size, but currently losing what little waist I ever had. Don't know how old you are but with little kids you're probably not over 40, and that's when it gets really tough.
    There - has that scared you enough?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the 5th week of the 6-week body makeover plan. I've lost 12 pounds so far and am eating 6 times a day. Wow! Exercise is optional as well....couldn't be better for someone with the kind of back that I have.

    On the week I only lost 1.5 lbs - I lost over 4 inches....

    It's tough sweetie. I'm over 50 and I have a very good memory of what I looked like before I lost my marbles. Very good.

    The Man of course is losing faster than I am - but he doesn't have to take HRT every morning to keep the sweats and urges to kill at bay. They say that does it to a woman's body...makes her hold the weight.

    So what am I saying? Hmmm...will your hubby spring for a trip for me too? I could tote the bags and hang up the swimsuits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having similar thoughts myself. How did it happen? Oh, I think all that wine from Tesco Wine Warehouse had a hand in it. Damn!

    BC I used to go to the gym five times a week, it was easy to stay slim. Now I have daughter, full time job and a house to do up. If you have any bright ideas on how to keep slim AC please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tracey, how do they do that? Men, I mean. It's just not fair!

    Ped, I believe the magic may be called diet and exercise - blast it.

    Vika, I know, scary how the botox issue suddenly becomes a possibility isn't it? Not that I have - or that I would - but a little voice at the back of my mind is starting to say 'so what's a little chemical warfare between friends?' Crazy.

    Nora, I will be over toute de suite!

    EPM - horses and bolting come to mind. Of course I'm not 40 - any more. Haven't been since the beginning of this year, in fact. Oh well - I am scared, but I want that holiday more. Long may it continue!

    Aims, congratulations, it sounds like you're doing fantastically! Have just had a review session at the gym with an instructor who seems to think the kind of weightloss you're talking about is achievable - but then she hasn't worked with me and my addiction to chocolate before...

    Hi WM, Tesco winewarehouse has a great deal to answer for. Along with Mr Cadbury, Mr Green & Ms Black, Ms Starbucks... Need I go? No bright ideas here, I'm afraid. Am preparing myself for a hungry few months instead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just now I am craving chocolate biscuits very badly. Luckily the stores are closed, but it is these kinds of things that boycott me in the end. Those cravings for cookies and other sweet things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oatcakes - fantastic. Slow release carbohydrate and actually taste of something.

    BM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nora, me too. Am addicted to sugar, it seems. In fact, I'm trying to ignore the voices right now...

    Hi BM - thanks for the tip. Will get right on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have had the same trouble since popping out number three.The best incentive I have had is signing up for the London Marathon, if I get a place I want to be able to finish, hopefully without a Paula Radcliffe moment!!
    I have simply cut down on the lolvely but slightly naughty treats and eat with the children, can't do too many over the top things then and invested in a wii fit. That way I can box, jiggle a hoop and jog without the embarassment of anyone else seeing, if my husband were to be silly enough to youtube me he would be seeing stars. Great incentive though and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PottyM, i'm with you love. I did have a bit of a spurt a few weeks ago...i suddenly had an epiphany. A voice (mine) spoke to me and said, 'for god's sake stop feeling sorry for yourself, stop being a victim, pull yourself together and get on and do it'. this coupled with a comment from my husband that 'being hungry is good, it means you're burning calories', i got off to a flying start.

    Admittedly one of his business trips later (think Pig all alone in house for a week, miserable, lonely, eating and drinking)I've wobbled (ha!) a bit. However, as we type, I'm feeling rather hungry, dinner is finished, and i'm feeling quite virtuous!

    Remember Potty M, some hunger (and no, blah, not advocating anorexia, blah, etc etc)is good, every time you feel hungry, feel amazing about how well you're doing!
    Yours starvingly,
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mel, thanks for the positive thinking and will imagine you hula-hooping around your living room. If I tried that I promise you every piece of our furniture would be reduced to sticks within minutes - I am NOT the most graceful elephant in the circus...

    Pig, guess what? Husband's travelling too from today, so after 2 weeks of relative good behaviour on the food behaviour front, this is where it starts to get tough... I have consequently banned any instant gratifacation sweet stuff from the house. Poor Boys. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet Potty Mummy,

    I am seriously considering a colonic. I think you should join me. We can provide eachother moral support!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darling DM. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the prospect. Can I take it under advisement?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Potty mummy. Just popped over from Frog in the Field's. I am in the 'must lose weight' state of mind too. But chocolate is so nice. Sighh. The holiday is a great incentive though, I must speak to Mr B.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...