Thursday 1 April 2010

A piste too far

Boy #1 is continuing to improve his skills on the slopes (after making a couple of runs with him this afternoon, Husband commented breathlessly that 'we have created a monster') but unsurprisingly, not everyone in the Potski family is toeing the party line on the 'loving skiing' front.

Yesterday, Boy #2 and I had the following conversation after I picked him up from ski school;

Me: "So, how was your ski lesson today?"

Boy #2: "OK. I only cried a little bit."

Me (heart sinking, but trying to jolly him along): "Right... so did you actually ski at all?"

Boy #2: "Yes. Yes! I skied through the arch. And... I rang the bell!" (There is a sleigh bell suspended on a plastic arch which the children are encouraged to ring as they pass underneath it. This requires them to be standing up on their skis rather than messing around on the ground or even - as has been the case more than once this week - playing inside in the nursery, so this news was something to be celebrated).

Me: "Fantastic! So when you go back tomorrow, you can do that again!"

Boy #2: "Well... no."

Me: "No?"

Boy #2: "No. I can ski now. I know how to do it. So, that's that."

Me: "What do you mean, 'that's that' ?"

Boy #2: "Well, now I know how to ski. So I don't have to go back again."

Ah well - there's always next year.

Note: He did go back. And even appears to be enjoying it - despite an unfortunate collision with both parents on the ski slopes this afternoon... (the only thing hurt was our pride, you'll be pleased to hear).

7 comments:

  1. Mine didn't enjoy it until he was five. He only did two half days when he was four. Luckily we had granny in the hotel or I would have screamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He got further than I did. I still have nightmares about that bell...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like his logic - I can do it now so why do back?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kitty, he logic is flawless! Smart kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was my younger son's response to the news that he needed to go to school every day not just the one time! As far as he was concerned they didn't do anything there that he couldn't do at home so saw no point to the exercise. He got over it too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That arch and bell sounds identical to the ski school Littleboy1 went to last year...do they also have to follow a giant chicken around the magic carpet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep positive. I finally accepted I liked skiing at about 28....!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...