Tuesday 13 April 2010

SATC; you know you want to - but why?

I'm not someone who is easily fooled by glitter and superficiality. Depth and sincerity are important to me - and yet I cannot be the only 40 something woman who is completely over-excited at the launch of the new Sex and the City movie at the end of May. In fact, I know I'm not; I've spotted the trailer I'm putting at the bottom of this post on at least two other blogs, here and here (and Nixdminx I know you're not 40, just grant me a bit of poetic license on this one...).

Why is it, do you think, that this movie pushes the right buttons for so many women and reduces us to giggling 14 year-olds on our way to the cinema?

Well, I can't speak for you, but for me it's not only about the fact that when I used to watch it on tv I was - mostly - young and unencumbered by children (oh, the nostalgia). Of course, it's nice to look back on those days where I bothered to check my reflection before I left the house, when my life was ordered, controlled and a little more - ok, a lot more - glamorous, and SATC on tv is a reminder of those times, but really, would I go back there?

No. Not for a heartbeat.

So why is it that I have fallen hook line and sinker for the reincarnation of the series on the big screen?

Two words.

Wish. Fulfillment.

It's not that I want those characters' ridiculous lives, you understand. I'm very happy with my own ridiculous life, thankyou. It's more that those ladies - Charlotte/Kristin Davis excluded, perhaps, although I'm not certain because I'm not yet sad enough to google the actresses ages - are all over 40, and yet they look fabulous. They act fabulous. They wear fabulous clothes. They have a fabulous time. When they screw up, they screw up fabulously. And whilst I know SATC is just a story, not real life, and never could be, it's just so - forgive me - fucking fabulous to see a movie where age is not a barrier to any of those things happening, and in fact where women over 40 - rather than being expected to fade gracefully into the background as seems so often the case in the media *- are the centre of the action.

And you know what? I really believe - the actresses' vanity permitting - that we may still be watching them in 10 years time, because there will still be mileage in this then. And that - to me, right now, having not seen this movie and having no idea if it's even any good or not - would be just... fabulous.

(* Click here to be taken to a piece I wrote on 40+ media-invisibility for Powder Room Graffiti last year...)



11 comments:

  1. For some unknown reason I have watched the film and series 5 and 6 all over again in the past week. I have wept continously.

    When SATC came out years ago I deliberately avoided it because I assumed that anything that popular could only be crap. I accidentally caught an episode one day and was totally hooked. It's the only girly frou-frou I indulge in. I don't watch any soaps, I don't read 'Heat' or Chick Lit novels.

    It's my one girly vice. Even though the movie's ending made me furious, I still love it.

    I have never looked that good. Not even at 25. But maybe I will by the time I'm 50?

    I too saw the trailer. Totally over the top. I will love it and hate it and then love it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, Kristen Davies is 45! Nothing wrong with loving SATC, it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're onto something here.

    Thing is, once you've passed 40, time seems to whizz by at extra-fast speed, so I fear it might only be a heartbeat till we're all 50... Sorry to be so depressing.

    With SATC, I think there's also the perfect tension between wanting to despise the characters and actually slightly admiring them. It's a sort of agony/ecstasy thing. Maybe it hits some kind of perverse 'ultimately conflicted' spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually for me it's the friendship thing; that friends can endure through the very worst of times and the very best of times and still come out the other end.
    I've loved it all these years and will be one of the first in the queue when the new movie is out in May!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, PM. I still love SATC and will definitely be going to see the new film. I think it's partly that thing of having watched the characters for all these years and wanting to know what happens, but also that despite being totally over the top, the characters of the four women are so well-drawn that you believe in them. There is no series aimed at women now that even comes close - Cougar Town with Courtney Cox was touted as one, but I thought it was pretty rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow they do look great! It looks better than the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funnily enough, when I was single and living a 'fucking fabulous' life with my lovely clothes and stupid glamorous lifestyle I couldn't BEAR to watch SATC - I was so very anxious that I wouldn't meet a nice man and have babies (only met unsuitable men and had bad girl dirty sex).
    Now I am a BORING MUMMY who spends all day wiping arses and noses and only gets out those outfits to sigh over them nostalgically I am GAGGING to see that film. It's silly, ridiculous and total escapism but wonderful stuff nonetheless. Also very, very keen to look at the actresses and examine their faces for procedures that I may be plundering my savings for...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved series 5 and 6. Although I suspect that series 6 (and the last episode or two) I was mainly beguiled by the gorgeous diamond necklace Carrie was given by her French (code, apparantly, for unprincipled shit) lover... I hated that ending too - but boy, would I love that necklace. God, I'm so materialistic...

    Livi, 45??? REALLY? So there's hope then (with access to an excellent plastic surgeon, trainer, and personal cook, obviously).

    Iota, and here's a case in point. I'm sure it was only 5 minutes ago that I read your reply and suddenly I realise it was yesterday.

    Tara, and obviously that's another reason why it's so successful; we can all take what we want from it.

    NVG, one of these days I'm going to find out what Cougar Town was actually like rather than just reading about it on your blog!

    Rachel, they do, don't they? Cows. (But are they HAPPY?) (YESSSSS!)

    Mothership, ah yes - but have they got the eyelashes? And a hit single in Clapham?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I love about it is that they do screw up and life isn't perfect - its my big girly vice and I can't wait to see it

    Have I mentioned I'm going to see it two days before it opens !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for the movie and I'm so happy you think I'm not 40 - ha ha ha ha!!!! that's made my day.... yaaa hooo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not yet 40something, but when I look at them there might be something to look forward to. I know, I know, they are fictional and even their real lives seem fictional compared to mine. The thing that really hooks got me, just like Tara, hooked on SATC is the friendship thing. All my best friends are not living in the UK, and I really really miss them.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...