Saturday 21 August 2010

Thoughts on returning to Moscow...

On the Compound

Gosh, it's quiet. The compound is like a ghost town. Where is everybody? (The answer to that question: still on holiday, mostly. Apparently you're nowhere as an expat unless you take a minimum of 8 weeks out of your country of residence over the summer... We took 7. We're toast.)


On the Weather

Great, it's raining. Wouldn't you know it; Moscow has the longest heatwave in living memory and the day we get back it clouds over, starts tipping down and the temperature drops by 15 degC.


On the Unpacking

One of the advantages of having a Husband travelling back and forwards between London and Moscow whilst you stay on holiday with the children is that you can give him all the 'supplies' you've bought (children's clothes, toiletries and hard-to-get groceries like tomato puree and G&B's chocolate) to take back with him on his interim visits. At least, it is an advantage as long as you keep track of what you've sent.

(Note to self #1; next time, keep track of what I've sent. I imagine we now have enough shower gel to last until some time after we eventually return to the UK).

(Note to self #2: the next time you buy a blender - or indeed any electrical appliance - and send it on ahead with a Husband in his useful role as advance party sherpa taking your purchases to Moscow before you get there yourself, remember; Test the damn thing before you send it. )


On the Washing

Thank heavens I did so much laundry whilst I was away with the children. At least I don't have that to deal with now...

In that case though, what's that overflowing over the top of the laundry basket?

Jesus. Did Husband wash one single shirt whilst I was gone?

OK, yes, that's true. Two is more than 'one single shirt'.

I suppose I shouldn't really wonder if he washed the sheets...

Ah. Well, at least stuffed down the back of the laundry basket (because it's unable to fit into it due to the Great Dirty Shirt Surfeit) is better than still on the bed. I suppose.


On the contents of the Kitchen:

Now, milk... Let's have a look in the fridge. Oh, you've got to be kidding me. How out of date is that ham?

And those eggs...?

And the butter?

And the - sod it. Let's just throw the whole lot out.


Damn, it's good to be home.

And actually, it is.




7 comments:

  1. On the weather: surely there are some benefits to that drop in temperature/arrival of rain over in your part of the world just now? Like - you can breathe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh joy, I've got all that to come on mon when we fly back. Washing, fridge to empty, husband to remind he's no longer living life as a bachelor, rack my brains to wonder what I used to cook etc. Hopefully once back in a routine instead of playing the role of a single parent I'll be able to blog properly again, read & comment etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't the rain a useful thing - washing the smog away, or something?

    I'm glad you're glad to be back. Is that 50% of your time over?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be happy with rain and lower temperatures is I were you. It has been much worse in Moscow lately.

    Husbands live as if they are bachelors when they are on their own. They have no sense of the other people who are coming back to share the space with them. They are kind of foolish people, aren't they? Even the Dutch ones are. I think American ones are much more self sufficient and emancipated. That is my experience anyway.

    Is school starting again for both boys? It will give you some spare time and some much needed sanity. Not that they both aren't adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely funny post. Thank you for making me smile this morning! And, yes, it's all so familiar.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...