Tuesday 13 September 2011

If I could start my blog over I would...

(Thankyou to the BritMums site for this prompt, by the way - click here to see how a bunch of other bloggers have used it)

If I could start my blog over, I would;

... remain totally anonymous. (Not to other bloggers, pr's or advertisers, obviously. That would be silly). Then I could rant and rage to my heart's content about various people and places without fearing of upsetting anyone. Of course, in reality this is practically impossible, but it's nice to dream.

... choose a different platform from the beginning. Blogger has done me proud, but it is limited and when I cast an envious glance over other peoples' sites, I do wonder why I didn't do a little more investigating before hitting 'publish' that first time.

.... never have used that teeny tiny font which for some reason I did for the first year or so, until a very kind commenter was brave enough to request I take it up a size

... have asked Liz at Violet Posy to give the blog a make-over a whole lot earlier than I actually did.

... be more organised about keeping track of pr approaches, who paid for what and who I should be invoicing for continued space on the side bar etc. I mean, I love spreadsheets! Why didn't I just set one up to track it all?

... archive more often. The shock of Blogger's tantrum a few months back suddenly made me realise that I could have lost everything. And at 915 posts and counting, that's a lot of work to potentially say goodbye to.

But the biggest thing of all?

... I would have sat down and seriously thought through the potential embarrassment of having to stand up in a roomful of professional people and say, with a relatively straight face; "Hi. I'm Potty Mummy."

What on earth was I thinking?

10 comments:

  1. Hi Potty Mummy, nice post:

    Sincerely,
    Cranky Mummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding list Potty! We love your name, by the way! ;)

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Hindsight is such a wonderful thing, you've got me thinking now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - um hi I'm muddling... always a winner but at least doesn't mention potties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CM, thankyou! (Aha - I see what you did there...)

    Karin, thankyou - but you don't have to introduce yourself by it!

    Mari, it is, isn't it? Like, why did I buy that embellished collar dress which makes me look as if I'm 7 months pregnant when I haven't been thinner in 8 years? Why?

    MAM, it doesn't, does it. Like I said; what was I THINKING?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking a lot about this recently! Especially when someone mentioned to me when I was out shopping (very small town) that they'd been on my blog. I was mortified. Too many people I know, know about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, and think of us that have to introduce you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the name, it reflects how I feel most of the time ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your name. It's ace and so memorable! I have not shared my blog with any friends, so I can rant about my husband and children to my hearts content!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the name too!

    If you back up a blog, by saving it as another blog, do you risk losing them both? How do you personally back up?

    I don't think it's possible to remain water-tight anonymous. I really don't. Not these days, when social media is so big. How would you have a facebook account linked to your blog? How would you meet other bloggers? It's too complicated.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...