Tuesday 25 October 2011

When More is more...

It is too early for a Christmas post.

Way, way too early

But a certain retailer (who I won't name because I have a generally good relationship with them and don't want to mess that up) sent me a pr release today listing their 'Top Ten Toys for Christmas', and being of a nosy disposition I took a look.

You know what I noticed?

Whilst the cheapest toy on the list was approximately £11, the average price (their words, not mine) was £55, and the most expensive £109.

Which is all very well and may - these days - be good value for money, but one thing occurs to me.

AREN'T WE SUPPOSED TO BE IN A RECESSION, PEOPLE?

Everywhere I look I see news about rising prices, falling wages, the increased cost of living and how we're all supposed to be tightening our belts. Now, I know that Christmas is different. I know that we all want to spoil our little angels at this oh-so-special time of year, and I also know that I will almost definitely spend between £70 and £100 on each of the Boys by the time I include big presents and stockings (or in our case, pillow cases) into the mix.

But this is the issue that I have with the Top 10 list I was sent this week; with only one exception, if I were to buy any of the items which are featured on it I would blow a big part of my Christmas present budget without even blinking. And the thing with young kids? For them, unless they have a specific toy in mind (which, so far, neither of my sons has), the number of presents they get is almost as important as what those presents actually are.

When you're a child, less is not more. More is more.

So I realised that I will not be rushing off to buy the latest must-have toy for a paltry £49.99. Instead, I will be hunting around for less expensive items that my boys will still love, and which will still give great play value, but which will allow me to give them a variety of items and still - crucially - give the Boys the that ripping off the wrapper fest which kids love.

This got me thinking; in these financially tricky times, I can't be the only blogging parent with this philosophy, surely? So why not do a McLinky giving other bloggers the chance to join in the fun and list the Top 3 Christmas Presents under £20 (or thereabouts) that they may give their children this Christmas. If there's enough interest I'll pull together a finite list (crediting whoever came up with the idea, obviously, and linking to their blog if they have one) of what comes up and publish it sometime around mid-November for anyone who's interested.

So here, without further ado, is my current list of Top 3 Christmas Presents under £20:

1. Operation game (available online from £9 - £13.00)
2. Twister game (available online £12 - £14)
3. Junior Scrabble available online from £18 - £20)

What's your list? If you want to join in, either add your list via the comments box or write a post and link to this post here...


8 comments:

  1. Totally agree - mine like unwrapping presents and not necessarily what is inside

    I buy heaps of books and wrap them all individually, lots of paper to tear off and happy girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. I'll give it some thought (as I work today in my rather over-priced... shh... did I say that?... toy shop).

    And yes. More is more for kids. My fave bit of Christmas was always the stocking, with lots of silly little gadgets, pencils, rubbers, chocolate Father Christmases etc.

    Good thought about books, Muddling Along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree - my kids just love to unwrap lots of presents, they could be really small and inexpensive but that's the excitement. I just asked LB2 what he wanted for his birthday - he said a Blue plush Angry Bird (to add to their collection). It costs $10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well my little girl has just had her 3rd birthday and she's been asking for a bike since pretty much her 2nd birthday. Anyway, we got a her lovely first bike which we were really pleased with. The day after her birthday I asked her twice what her best present was a both times she replied The Shopping List game. This is a gift from one of her friends which costs about £6 but it's kept her amused for ages. Just shows that young children really don't care about price!
    I do thoroughly recommend the Orchard games brand of games for little ones of about 3 or 4 years old. She's got a couple and loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god, I haven't even begun to think about Christmas yet. Still have Halloween and Thanksgiving to get through. I'll be watching the comments though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... long gone are the days when the most interesting thing about a present was the paper, yes?

    Ho hum.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, I entered myself in the linky thing but that was a mistake.
    Anyway, my best, cheapo tip for Xmas presents is to wrap up a pretty gift box that contains 2 or 3 packets of sweets.
    They can't BELIEVE they'd get that much candy at once and they like to keep the box for hoarding things in.
    Every year they quote it as one of their best gifts and they rarely play with the 'big' present I've carefully thought of and saved up for(gah!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I must be Super Lucky, My eldest (4) doesn't ever really "want" anything. She has just started school so I am sure with peer pressure this will all change but for the moment I am very grateful. Although as a mother I would love to see the joy on her face and shrieks of delight if I could buy her something she had been lusting after for ages - She just doesn't want anything!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...