Thursday 17 May 2012

And this is why I don't post photographs of my children...

I admit it; from time to time, I check the stats for The Potty Diaries.  I try not to, really I do, but every now and again* curiosity gets the better of me and I take a peek.  I know you're not supposed to, not if you want to maintain any sense of perspective, but I can't help myself.  Not that a good or a bad answer changes what I write about, or the way I write it, it's just... good to know.

I'm not making excuses for this, mind you. Any blogger who wants to be remotely professional about their online presence should probably be aware of their approximate number of readers etc.  In any case, I'm only sharing this information to explain how today I happened to come across a search term that somebody out there used to land on The Potty Diaries recently.

It was a collection of words, all of which I had used separately and perfectly innocently at different times, in different posts, but which strung together made my blood run cold.

And that is why I don't post pictures of my children.


* For which read 'at least twice a week'*.  Yes, I'm a numbers wh*re...

13 comments:

  1. I had one of those once and my blood ran cold. Definitely no photos of my children on my blog either. I hope you're okay x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly dare mention my children on the blog. But thanks for this, I am going to repost so others might learn from it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My blog is about my family but I've changed names and have only put the odd pic of my daughter on when you can't see her face. Am glad I haven't as I'm very safety conscious. Worrying though. I've not had those words yet. Am off to put them into google to see what comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly your blog is the second site that comes up on google when you type those words in......

    ReplyDelete
  5. SC, am fine - just glad there are no photos. Thanks for asking though.

    MCD, thankyou.

    3Become4 - interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creepy...very. Now I don't want to look...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's scary. I've stopped using pics which clearly show my children, but think I am going to go over old posts and do some picture editing. Thanks for sharing. Found you on Blow Your Own Blog Horn by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have plenty of photos of my kids on my blog and am proud for them to be there. They are only doing regular kid everyday things that you see in real life and I don't worry about it. Perhaps it is because I have never come across any strange leads to my blog that I feel this way. Always good to read a different perspective though so thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. ALW, I know what you mean - only happened across it by chance myself.

    AllotmentMum, it's a tricky one to call.

    CM, I know and you're obviously not alone in that. I would also be extremely proud to have photos of the children on my blog - you have no idea how much I would like to. Perhaps it's just living here that makes me more cautious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone found my blog by typing in mother naked drinks wine. Luckily, I hadn't posted that particular picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ewww. Certainly gives one pause for thought. I started off quite paranoid about posting photos of my son but then relaxed about it. Now I'm unsure again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't post identifying things about my children - just don't want to risk having put up something that can't be taken down again

    And the search terms - strangely I get a fair amount of traffic for sex mummy.com...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so confused...then again, what else is new? Ha! It seems many commenters know the words used to search...this didn't come easy for me. I still haven't figured it out. Can you clue me in?

    And you don't have any pics of you on your blog either...clue me in again, please. I was thinking that by being anonymous with our names and not giving exact locations, we should be ok....please give me your thoughts!

    Signed,
    Still waiting on the contract!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...