Tuesday 1 May 2012

I love comments, but...

Don't get me wrong; I love it when people comment on my blog.  More often than not, I reply to them (well, 'working from home' as I do, any opportunity to have communication with the outside world is welcome), and it's good to build up a dialogue with people in this way.

But I take exception to spammers using the comment box of The Potty Diaries to scatter their website address all over the internet.  Sure, there's a link automatically included on your name when you comment, and that's fine - more than fine, it's part of the fun of blogging, checking out where people write themselves and what they have to say - but for those people who appear out of the blue and say something like 'Great post. Here's a link to mine' with no justification or aim other than to drive traffic to a completely irrelevant and unrelated site, I have a message.

I can always hit delete - and I will. So please don't waste your time, or mine.

6 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more, and my website is... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, i love to go round and read new blogs and try to leave comments on blogs that intrest me, but i very very rarely leave a link back to my blog, i comment because i know how appreciative I am of comments and like to give that appreciation back, those who simply spam comments to get their links out there, often having blogs which are not relevant to mine at all always get a delete from me x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had my first EVER bad experience with a comment last week as you know. Horrid. Should have hit delete...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AM, very funny...

    DG, thankyou

    Sarah, Good to know I'm not alone in my approach.

    KM, although sometimes just ignoring the trolls is the best way to go - it's a hard one to call. I think you acted with dignity...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad i am not the only one that gets annoyed by this!! I want to help others with my blog, but dont want to be used as an ad for whatever product people are trying to sell!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...