Thursday 10 May 2012

I'm not a Photo-Blogger, but...

There's something about taking a photograph with a 'proper' camera.  We're lucky enough to have a fairly decent one (although it is now 4 years old and in my more day-dreamy moments I do imagine replacing it with something more up to date), and I use it quite a lot.  I love the experience of using it.  The weight of it, the satisfying feeling as you press the button.  The fiddling with the lens - to zoom in, or not to zoom in?  To use the flash, or not?

But recently I've been experimenting with the Nokia N8-00 which I was sent 18 months back to give me the chance to review an app in Russia which - unfortunately - so far hasn't worked properly here.  What has worked though, is the camera.  It is, quite simply, awesome.  And whilst it isn't a 'proper' camera, having it to hand, seeing a photo-opportunity, pointing, and shooting has changed the way I can take photos when I'm out and about.

I particularly like the way it works for me in the Moscow metro.  There's a grainy, action quality to the pictures that, when I look at them in black and white (and yes - I freely admit it - fiddle with the brightness & contrast a little) gives them a vintage, almost reportage feel that I love.

Like this one, that I took in the rush-hour at Park Kultury, today.














(Click on the photo to enlarge it)

4 comments:

  1. It *is* a great shot - I can almost see the people moving. The crowd looks about as dense as the one in Seoul Station, too. Surprised you could move your arms enough to lift them to take the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a really cool shot. Am just starting to do loads of reading about taking photos including taking the "top of the head " shost like this one, so unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought myself a camera too, one of those it's not quite an SLR but but a miniature version of it.. It takes great pictures and had to have a play around with it to get used to all the settings. I love taking unexpected photos of people! Unfortunately I have lost my battery charger - so either need to search the house top to bottom or order a spare!

    Mandy
    Saving Mummys Money
    www.savvymummys.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...